About Me

My photo
I Reside in NJ with two sons and husband. The Youngest of 5 siblings and by far the most intelligent. ha ha. I like to try and see the fun and funny side of things. Being the only woman in the house , this is an absolute must to keep any level of sanity. I love my home and family. On the flip side, meeting new people and discovering what lies in their hearts' is fascinating to me.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

An Artist with Yarn

Today I wanted to share the spirit of a woman who works from home. I am especially impressed with her spirit. She uses her natural creativity and herself as a model in her hat making business. Anne Quinn is "An Artist with Yarn"

Have you ever heard people give excuses in direct sales of why they can't do something? Excuses like location, time, inability, age, etc...?

Read more about Anne. You'll be amazed how and why she got started in business.

Interview with Anne Quinn, owner

Q: How did you get involved in this business? A: After retiring from Littleton Public Schools, I began volunteer work and found myself doing nails for some of the residents at Brookside Nursing Home in Castle Rock. It was there that I met Mary, an elderly lady from Littleton, who was a resident of the nursing home. If Mary felt well enough, either my friend (who also was a volunteer) or I painted her beautiful long nails red every week. Her husband, Carl, who came six days a week to spend the day with her was happy to see her renewed interested in being so beautiful.Her greatest wish was to go back home to Littleton. It was during this time in early 2008 that I dreamed Mary was going home and she was wearing a purple hat. Not having a purple hat to give her nor knowing where to buy one, I decided to make her a hat. After buying the yarn and a "how to" book, I soon discovered that never having taken a lesson, reading the instructions was beyond my capacity. So, with needle and yarn in hand, I made her a cute purple hat that actually fit. There was a hidden talent there all those years. I did take the hat to Mary and was totally surprised on entering the room that the lady in my dream had been Mary as a young lady. On her wall, was a very large picture of Mary at twenty six years of age, even the long black hair was the same as in my dream. I can't begin to explain any of this, all I know is that my ability to make hats and scarves is a talent. From that time until now, I have made and sold many, many beautiful one-of-a-kind hats and scarves, all made with love and no patterns.We are told that each of us is given a talent; maybe we just need to look for it more often. Each creation takes on its own image and all are so beautiful and different. Reading directions is still nothing I can or want to do. Every day I am thankful for being an artist with yarn. Q: What distinguishes you from other businesses in your category?
A: My hats and scarves are unique because there is never a duplicate. Not following a pattern allows me to be creative with my stitches and yarns. You will not find these creative items anywhere else. All are created with love and are actually given a name. I feel that the products must be perfect before they are allowed to be sold.My stamp of approval is the small piece of yarn (always different from the hat yarn) that is carefully pulled through the hat near the small HatsbyAnne tag sewn to the inside. Removal of the stray yarn is optional but the yarn immediately identifies it as an original. My friend who lives in Las Vegas has referred to my line as masterpieces and I think he is right. There are about two hundred items online at hatsbyanne.com and special orders are available. Everything is 100 percent guaranteed. After two years, I have had no complaints.

Q: What do you like best about your line of work?
A: There is so much genuine pleasure in creating a beautiful hat or scarf that someone will wear and enjoy. Everyday, I'm either starting or finishing a new item. Giving each piece its name is part of the real fun. I love names like "She Wore Blue Velvet" or "Rio Carnival." Two dollars from the sale of each item is given to The Hospice of Denver. This is part of the joy of being able to make and sell hats and scarves, knowing that my contribution will make a difference in someone's life.

Q: What is your business' biggest challenge?
A: To date, after two years, the biggest challenge is getting my line out for the public to see.

Q: Something people might be surprised to learn about you or your business:
A: Most people who see all the many hats and scarves in either the hat room in my home or those posted on my Web site are surprised that there are so many made with no patterns, and that much of my line is made for year round wear. Hats and scarves made with ribbon and cotton yarns are perfect for warm days. Every lady needs a summer hat for "bad hair" days and a cute scarf as an accessory.

Please visit Ann at Southern belle Marketing and Shopps as well as her Etsy site to learn more about her and her fabulous one of a kind hats and scarves.

 http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatsbyanne1942

No comments:

Post a Comment